Monday, November 16, 2009

Change is on the Wind

I remember back in 1992-93 when the Reform Party was picking up steam. There was change on the wind in those days. I was a big fan of the Reform Party and remained so until they melted back into the Conservative soup. There was a grass roots base to the Reform Party that was very attractive and its one of the same things that called me to the Green party.

Anyway, Jim Gouk was the Reform candidate at that time in my home riding (West Kootenay – Revelstoke at the time) and I was discussing with a friend that I was going to vote for Jim Gouk and the Reform Party. My friend got this curious look on his face and replied with an even more curious response:

‘I like the Reform Party, but I am not going to vote for them because they will never get in’

What a very strange statement. The implication being that you should only vote for who you think everyone else will vote for. Like somehow, if you vote for the guy that is likely to get in, he will owe you a favor or something. It is such a wrong way to vote and flies in the face of what true democracy should be. You should vote for the candidate you believe in …even if he or she gets only your vote. Voting for what you believe in is what makes positive change. Even if your candidate doesn’t get in, the other parties will notice any votes they got and they will perhaps adapt policies going forward as a result.

Anyway, despite the voting strategies of my good friend, Jim Gouk and the Reform party did win that seat in 1993. How did this happen? Well people believed in it and voted strongly on what they believed. There was change in the wind.

I can feel that change in the wind again. And again, there will be those that say ‘Don’t vote for the Green Party, they will never get in!’ But people believe in protecting their environment AND their economy. They believe in the Green Party and they will strongly vote for their beliefs. British Columbia Southern Interior can lead the charge in the change our country needs. With your vote we will win!

No comments:

Post a Comment