Monday, November 2, 2009

They are all Politicians!


A colleague of mine has a saying every time it comes to a federal election:

'No matter who you vote for, a politician gets in'

It's funny, but there is a certain amount of truth to it. The government doesn't seem to operate all that differently no matter who is in power. There is a reason for this - you voted for a politician. Politicians are concerned with getting reelected so they make popular decisions when in office (or at least leading up to the next election). They will break promises, go back on their word, and act in ways that are not the height of ethics - just to get those votes. In essence, they are not *serving* their country - they are milking it.

'But Bryan', you are thinking, 'Aren't you just a politician as well?'. It's a valid thought - though there is a big difference. I hate politics. I am not running in the next election because being a member of parliament has been a life long dream. Far from it. I am not in it for money, or power, or glory. If I could see others had things well in hand, I would be happy to leave things as they are. But it doesn't appear to me that way. I think there needs to be changes in how things are run in this country. We are facing some of the most unique challenges in Canadian history - and we are failing. My only reason for running in the next election is that I believe I can help fix this. I will not make decisions based on whether or not it will help or hinder me in getting re-elected. I would rather fix what is broken regardless of how unpopular that might end up being.

In short, I am not a politician - nor will I become one.

That is my solemn promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment